The Data Fusion Lab is a multi-disciplinary group of researchers studying a wide range of topics in engineering, including:
- System theory and its applications,
- Distributed detection,
- Data and decision fusion,
- Navigation and robotics,
- Wireless communications,
- Digital signal processing,
- Dynamics and controls of biological systems,
- Handwriting forensics, and
- Machine learning.
There are 30 researchers in the lab, including freshmen making their first steps in the discipline, undergraduate students completing senior design projects, M.S. and Ph.D. students, and full-time professors. Since the lab was established in 1989, we have graduated 23 students with a Ph.D., 27 with an M.S., and 18 with B.S./M.S. degrees.
The Data Fusion Lab is directed by Moshe Kam, the Department Head and Robert Quinn Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Drexel University. He also serves as Director of the Drexel University National Security Agency (NSA) Center for Excellence in Information Assurance Education. He served as Principal Investigator on projects funded by the US National Science Foundation (NSF), DARPA, ONR, NSWC, The US Army-CERDEC, The US Army-TSWG, Lockheed Martin, GlaxoSmithKline, and the National Institute of Justice (NIJ). Educated in Tel Aviv (B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering 1977) and Drexel University (M.S. 1985, Ph.D. 1987), Kam is a Fellow of IEEE "for contributions to the theory of decision fusion and distributed detection" (2001). He is a recipient of an IEEE Third Millennium Medal and a National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award (1990), and is a Licensed Professional Engineer registered in the State of Pennsylvania.
A selection of our most cited publications (show all):
- Kam, M.; Xiaoxun Zhu; Kalata, P.; Sensor fusion for mobile robot navigation, Proceedings of the IEEE , vol.85, no.1, pp. 108- 119, Jan. 1997.
- Kam, M.; Zhu, Q.; Gray, W.S.; Optimal data fusion of correlated local decisions in multiple sensor detection systems, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol.28, no.3, pp.916-920, Jul 1992.
- Guez, A.; Eilbert, J.L.; Kam, M.; Neural network architecture for control, Control Systems Magazine, IEEE , vol.8, no.2, pp.22-25, April 1988.
- Chintalapudi, K.K.; Kam, M.; A noise-resistant fuzzy C means algorithm for clustering, IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, vol.2, no., pp.1458-1463 vol.2, 4-9 May 1998.
- Prosser, J.H.; Kam, M.; Kwatny, H.G.; Decision fusion and supervisor synthesis in decentralized discrete-event systems, American Control Conference. vol.4, no., pp.2251-2255 vol.4, 4-6 Jun 1997